Tuesday, February 22, 2011

30 Day Challenge - Day 22

Day 22 - What makes you different from everyone else?

There are a few things that make me different from most people ... 
  • My brachydactyly (These COULD be my thumbs. They are someone else's. But they look JUST like mine.)
  • I have a unique nose.
  • Heck, I have a unique enough look that people who haven't seen me in AGES (like YEARS) can recognize me right away. ... I will never make a good spy. Ever.
  • Truly? I have no guile. I can't lie. And I usually never think about lying.
    I usually will say exactly what's on my mind (in a nice way. I don't like to hurt people. ... Even when they might deserve it.), which can make me a bit of a weirdo.
  • I've been told that I'm a weirdo since about second grade. It kinda hurt.
    So I use it as a nickname for the kiddos. So they won't be hurt if someone calls them that.
  • I remember how it feels to be a teenager (or younger).
    This led to one of my YW telling me, "Sister Cox, you're the only adult that I've ever wanted to come over for a play date. Where we'd play." (Yeah, I miss my old calling. *sigh* Maybe she'll come to the RS Activities??)
  • After my awkward stage (I think it's called puberty. Ugh.), I kinda forget that I'm not still this gosling in a flock of adorable little ducks. (Maybe it's because I traded in acne and bad hair years for 50 extra pounds. :S)
  • I really don't enjoy sports or exercising. I know that I SHOULD ... but I still haven't gotten the hang of it.
  • Maybe it's because I've spent so much time reading. And I tend to live in my head. I can agonize over things that happened over a decade ago. I can over-analyze things. ... Yup, I wouldn't be surprised if I was diagnosed as toeing the fine line with insanity. Wouldn't be surprised at all.
  • Unlike a good portion of my friends, I've never played Dungeons and Dragons. Not once.
  • I'm LDS (Mormon) and I've never been to Utah.
  • I have goddess toes to go with my stubby thumbs.
    This is why Birks (and a LOT of other shoes) look a little weird on me. Since my "big" toe is shorter than some of my other toes.
Still ... these are things that, individually, only make me different from a portion of the general populace.

I don't know if everything, even all together, really separates me from everyone else out there.

Well, here's some more things to narrow it down, I guess.
  • I've been coloring my hair since the end of eighth grade. I know (roughly) my natural color. Which is a light brown, so it turns out.
    I color my hair because it's fun to have change, it lasts longer than a manicure, and is cheaper than buying new clothes (or a manicure).
  • My manicures (or even acrylic nails) don't last all that long on me. It's like my nails won't keep the polish on. Which is somewhat irritating.
  • I wish that I felt that I understood math. It's the universal language. And I like language. 
  • I feel that it's a travesty that we don't diagram sentences more often.
  • I really miss our old Apple IIc computer. And a lot of the games that we had.
  • My dad's blind and hard-of-hearing. I grew up with this being normal. It wasn't until I got married that I got to experience what it's like to have a dad who had those abilities.
    (I mean, yeah, I could see what it was like for my friends ... having dads that could drive and work anywhere and all ... but it's not the same.)
  • I grew up in a household where academic excellence was HIGHLY sought after. I can't wrap my head around coasting by in school. 
  • Some people think that I'm all self-confident and cool.
    SO. NOT. TRUE. I feel completely gawky and dorky most of the time. ... I just am used to it, I suppose. So I can (usually) accept who I am and deal with life.
  • I love to use Yiddish words. I think that they're awesome. "Oy vey," "kvetch," "zaftig," and "verklept" all make regular appearances in my vocabulary.
I asked Michael what makes me different than everyone else.
"Um ... EVERYTHING."

So, yes. I'm unique. A special little snowflake.

But, yeah ... did I not understand this assignment? I don't know. But, well, here are some things that make me different. I guess. 

You're free to answer this. Because I could have completely misunderstood the assignment.
If you've got something better, go ahead. ^_^



No comments: