Thursday, February 10, 2011

30 Day Challenge - Day 10

Day 10 - Songs you listen to when you're bored, happy, sad, mad, etc.

Great ... another list one. While I'm still sick, clammy, coughing (we'll not discuss WHAT all I'm coughing up. It's gross. That's all that needs to be said.)  ... Yeah, this is NOT the time to make me think.

But I'll TRY. Because I love you. And I feel a responsibility to get this done. On time.

Okay ... songs ... These are just off the top of my head, okay? There are MORE. I like songs.

Let's start with mad songs.
When just ONE TOO MANY people have cut me off in traffic or have said something thoughtless, here are the songs that I can turn to to feel better.
(I can also listen to them when I'm in other moods, too. Just sayin'.)
Those are the top contenders for when I'm full of angsty rage.
I'm not usually one for having murderous rages. There have been a few times, I'm sure. I just don't remember them at the moment.

Maybe it's early-onset dementia. Who knows?

Okay, so SAD songs ... 
  • Crush  - The Dismemberment Plan (cover - The original is by Jennifer Page. And I like that one. But it's not sad. This one is delightfully dejected, morose, and melancholy.)
  • Hole in my Soul - Aerosmith (I LOVE the music video for this. Back when MTV showed music videos ... and episodes of Daria ... oh, the old days. 
  • Insensitive - Jann Arden (What product of the 90s would I be if I didn't include her?)
  • If It Kills Me - Jason Mraz ... it's all about the angst. And unrequited love.
  • Thinking of You - Katy Perry (Yes, I do listen to a few of her songs. But this video is AWESOME. I usually can tell when I'm gearing up for the lady cycle because I find myself singing this on repeat in the van.)
  • Alone - Heart ... Because it's awesome.
Now ... happy songs ...
  • I Can't Help Falling in Love with You - Elvis Presley
    (It's OUR song. Based on the fact that once, on a trip from home, I fell alseep on Michael's lap as he drove. And I bleared awake to him singing this song. ^_^)
  • Stuttering - Ben's Brother (Because it's such a sweet and cuuuuuute song!)
  • Yes Sir, I Can Boogie - Baccara ("Yes, sir, already told you in the first verse. And in the chorus. But I will give you one more chance." LOVE the self-awareness. And it's so catchy.)
  • Anything from Disney, as a general rule.
  • Most anything from Glee (unless it'd be a sad or angry song)
  • Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog's soundtrack (including Commentary!)

I don't know that I listen to a lot of music when I'm bored. I don't mind silence. Unless I'm trying to drive and I'm sick or tired (or both). Then I NEED music to sing to so I can stay awake and safe(r).

I will admit to listening to Spice Girls, Lady Gaga (awesome cover: Metal Version of Bad Romance), and other groups.

I like Ace of Base, Me First & the Gimmie Gimmies, They Might Be Giants, No Doubt (and Gwen Stefani, even on her own), Cyndi Lauper ...

If you ask Bri, she'll tell you that when I made my own CDs for the car (those sweet, pre-iPod days ... when I had a car with a CD player), I'd have ecletic mixes. She'll back me up on this.

For the record, I've never been into NKOTB. I can only listen to maybe a couple of their songs. And then, only ironically. Though, I don't mind a few other boy bands.
(Boyz II Men is the BESTEST, though. BEST BOY GROUP EVER. At least, imho.)

I know that I'm completely forgetting tons of great songs. But these are ones that I can always turn to.

Not too terrible for a girl who was NOT aware of much popular music. During my formative musical years, I was mostly listening to movie and Broadway soundtracks. I could probably sing most of Les Miserables or a good section of the Andrew Lloyd Webber oeuvre from memory. (I could definitely sing most of Eponine's parts off the top of my head. Since that's who I totally related to for nearly a decade. Yeah ... I was ALL about the unrequited love. And she was so tragically NOBLE. *sigh*)

But, yeah. 

Any questions? Just let me know.

***Most of the links are for the official videos. There may be advertisements. I can't guarantee that YouTube will KEEP all the links working. But I tried to get you guys ones that will work. 

1 comment:

Masamage said...

Oh my goodness, that Baccara song is funny stuff. Any idea where I could get an mp3? It definitely needs to go on a mix CD I'm making.