Saturday, February 12, 2011

30 Day Challenge - Day 12

Day 12 - How you found out about blogging and why you have a blog

Wow, this takes me back.

My first blog entry was back in February of 2003. I was still in college (ALMOST DONE! 10 months left!), been married for nearly two years ... living in an apartment with my husband and two cats.

I was a really sporadic blogger. I got started on it by a mutual friend, Jenn (she used to blog under WonderChai). I've since lost touch with her. (SAD.) And I know that she moved to Australia.

I first got started partly because of the novelty -- a journal that I can have ON THE INTERNET.  (Hey, I love the internet!)
I really suck at writing in my journal. I never feel all that interesting. In fact, I usually feel like some weird, emo kid, trying to write in my journal.

So, the fact is ... I blog. I blog to keep track of my life. I blog to work out my feelings. I blog to let my friends know what's going on in my life. I blog ... because it's fun. I enjoy it.

I know that my blog isn't totally popular -- I actually never really keep track of how many page views/visitors I have. And that's fine. Because I'm not doing it to earn money (though I sometimes consider it) or for fame. I do it because I enjoy it.
(And, you know, if it became my JOB, I might lose interest and just do it because I would feel committed to doing it. Not because I enjoyed it. And that would make me rather sad. My blog is ... not my baby. But more like a friend -- albeit a codependent one. I can neglect her at times ... but she's still there for me, ready to help me by being a sounding board, an outlet, a record for me. ... Yeah, I'd never want to treat a person-friend exclusively like that. But my blog is also a tool.)

I like blogging because it lets me write. I like to write.
I also get to meet some fun people through blogging.
From my first blog, I met Christopher and Sally. And we're still friends on Facebook.
From this blog, I met Nicole, Bethany, and Hilary. It's pretty cool. Makes me happy.
Since we all live quite aways from each other, I wouldn't have really had much of a chance to meet them any other way.

And I like to read blogs. I get to keep up with my friends, spy into the lives of strangers, and learn things. It makes me feel a little less boring. And, being a stay-at-home-mom, I do worry that I get boring. I don't have any workplace/people to chat about. :P

But, yes ... I've been blogging for nearly eight years (in a week from this post!), at three different blogs. Started at Diaryland, moved to LiveJournal, had a brief fling with MySpace ... and finally settled here at Blogger.

No comments: