Thursday, November 12, 2009

Gratitude Challenge - Day 11

Assignment: Try to see the world through the eyes of a child. Think about the things you take for granted on a daily basis, and then express gratitude for everything down to the basic necessities that sustain your current life.

I know, I know ... I'm a little bit behind. But I did try to manage this one with some forethought.

Things I was grateful yesterday:
  • My family (snuggling and watching the old animated version of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe with Bruise and Bucket first thing in the morning).
  • The fact that we HAVE TLTWTW on DVD ... since that version is a BIG part of my childhood.
  • Having food to make for the missionaries for dinner.
  • Having most of the dishes done when the missionaries came over.
  • Getting dressed and doing my hair (and having had a shower) before fixing dinner :)
  • Being able to correspond with friends and family via the Internet
  • Being able to look up ANYTHING, information-wise, online.
  • Snuggling with Michael.
  • Being able to get any channels (so we can, say, watch SYTYCD)
  • Having a working vehicle (so Michael had a way to get to work, even if we didn't get to drive anywhere. *shrug*)
  • That, when I cut my thumb cutting some bread for the kiddos, it wasn't too deep and it didn't get blood all over the kitchen or anything.
  • That I'm BREATHING, that my blood flows in my veins, that I feel discomfort -- they all mean that I'm alive.
  • That I have hair.
  • That I have a Diana-cat to snorgle with.
  • That my children like to spend time with me.
  • That I have awesome, awesome, awesome friends (and that's a total understatement).
  • That I have a loving Heavenly Father who knows me better than I know myself ... and that He will not give me trials that I can't handle ... though, sometimes, I think that He may be overestimating my abilities. ... I'm just sayin'. (And if Mother Teresa says it, I can, too.)
  • That the world didn't end.
  • That what's left of my family (you know, my grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins and all) are relatively healthy and ALIVE.
  • That we have people who sacrifice so, so, so much so we can enjoy the freedoms that we have. (Happy belated Veterans Day!)
It's a good time for me to be doing this Gratitude Challenge ... with all the crap going on.

Did I mention that this morning my computer pretty much died? Yup. I'm able to borrow Michael's laptop ... but somehow, I was actually able to take it in MUCH better stride than I've ever managed before. (Thank goodness, though, that the kids' baby pictures are on the EXTERNAL hard drive. *phew*) But, hey, if you want to pray that we'll be able to be a 2-computer household again SOON, I'd totally appreciate you!

And it looks like an unexpected blessing will help us handle the truck-situation ... More on that in the future. But, just saying, your prayers (and ours) are working. Thank you!!!!

Also a funny thing: Yesterday, Bruise and Bucket were having an epic light saber battle which ended with Bucket dramatically bestowing the coup de grace of cutting off her brother's legs. It was ... legendary.

Yup ... things are ... crap, but looking up. Doable, even. *phew*

We walked to the library today for storytime. I checked out books. Bruise threw a tantrum. We made it home ... it was misting a little when we were walking to the library. But we didn't get rained on. Nice blessing. Since my ONE rain jacket-type coat was in ... of course ... the car. Oops. ^_^ But, hey, I was appreciative.

And I found when I'll be serving jury duty. November 30 - Dec 11. That's my term. I won't find out until the evening of the Friday prior if I'm even scheduled for any of the days that first week. We'll see. (I wonder if Joseph's scheduled for that term. It'd be nice to have a friend on the jury. Or, at least, at the courthouse at the same time. ... I still think that Michael's flabberghasted that I have never been summoned to jury duty before this. ... Okay.)

And, since it's so late in the day, I'm ready to do day 12's assignment ... so I'll start that ... NOW.

(And, let's not talk about NaNoWriMo, since my first 11,000 are completely inaccessible. *sigh* As are most of my bookmarks. And most of my YW files for church. *sigh* I'd like those back. It'd be a perk for my righteous living, right?)

No comments: