Saturday, August 02, 2008

Another reason I think I'll keep him ...

Yesterday, Michael and I watched Juno. (Something that I've been wanting to do for months. Thanks to our local library, we were FINALLY able to borrow it. Phew!)

There's an exchange between Juno and her dad that was very sweet:

Juno MacGuff: I’m losing my faith in humanity.
Mac MacGuff: Think you can narrow it down for me?
Juno MacGuff: I guess I wonder sometimes if people ever stay together for good.
Mac MacGuff: You mean like couples?
Juno MacGuff: Yeah, like people in love.
Mac MacGuff: Are you having boy troubles? I gotta be honest; I don’t much approve of dating in your condition, ’cause well… that’s kind of messed up.
Juno MacGuff: Dad, no!
Mac MacGuff: Well, it’s kind of skanky. Isn’t that what you girls call it? Skanky? Skeevy?
Juno MacGuff: Please stop now.
Mac MacGuff: [persisting] Tore up from the floor up?
Juno MacGuff: Dad, it’s not about that. I just need to know if it’s possible for two people to stay happy together forever, or at least for a few years.
Mac MacGuff: It’s not easy, that’s for sure. Now, I may not have the best track record in the world, but I have been with your stepmother for 10 years now and I’m proud to say that we’re very happy.
[Juno nods]
Mac MacGuff: In my opinion, the best thing you can do is find a person who loves you for exactly what you are. Good mood, bad mood, ugly, pretty, handsome, what have you, the right person will still think the sun shines out your ***. That’s the kind of person that’s worth sticking with.
Juno MacGuff: I sort of already have.


Michael kinda snickered at Mr. MacGuff's description of how someone might hold you in their esteem.

As Michael walked out of the room (to check on the kids or use the facilities, I can't remember), I called after him, "So, Honey, does the sun shine out of mine?"

"It lights up my world."

Heh. He's a keeper. And, sorry girls, he's MINE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He also puts up with my little crush-let on Stephen "Twitch" Boss on SYTYCD.
(Seriously, if Bucket were about two decades older, I'd push for her to marry him. He seems like such a NICE boy. And, yeah, I sound all old, reffering to him as a "boy" when he's just two years younger than I am. Maybe I should get my cousin S to meet him. Although, I think that it might freak out Nana. Bless her sweet Kentucky-born heart.)

Also, Twitch was in Hairspray! I had NO IDEA! (He's a dancer in there. But the fact is -- He's in there. Michael was the one to notice him!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question: Do you ever get songs stuck in your head? Not just that ... but do they play in the background of your mind, like internal white noise? Like how Michael will turn on the TV just so that it's not so silent in the house?
But in your head? Did I mention that? Is this normal?

------------------

Other question: I find myself, in social situations HYPERaware of conversations. Enough so that I find it a little difficult to have a conversation with just one or two people. I can HEAR the person I'm talking to. But I'm terribly distracted by the other twelve conversations going on around me.
Is this normal?

Oh, and it's A FRIEND that has those things happen. Not me. Of course, not me! Pshaw! Like *I* would ever have a problem! Tra-la-la and Fiddle-dee-dee and all that!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"it lights up my world"...that's awesome. I'm still laughing.