Sunday, January 27, 2008

How NOT to do your Visiting Teaching

Okay, for you friends of other faiths, you're probably all, "Visiting Teaching?? What the chicken?!?"

Visiting Teaching is one thing we do in our church. The Relief Society president (the gal called to be over all the women in our ward/congregation) assigns some sisters (women in the ward) to a partnership of two sisters. These two sisters should visit, call or write a letter/email -- in other words, get into contact and check up on -- the sisters that they've been assigned.

Usually it's just a visit and a spiritual message is shared (often from our church publication, The Ensign [ehn-SIhgn ... not ehn-sehn. That'd be some Naval publication. :P]).

The main thing is to check in with the sisters that you've been assigned. See if there are any needs that might not be met -- do they need help? Can you or the Relief Society (the women in the church) help them? Do they feel welcome/included in the church?

If you see any needs that might not be met, do what you can. Feel more than free to let your RS (Relief Society) president know. This responsibility is to help her to meet the needs of all the sisters in the ward (all the sisters who are now in her stewardship). It's actually a pretty big responsibility. And I feel bad when I don't visit all the sisters on my list.

Probably because I've been on both ends of the situation: The sister who hasn't been visited and the sister who didn't quite get all the visiting done.

STILL, it can be really fun. Especially when you (if you're like me) don't tend to get a whole ton of adult interaction. I mean, I talk to my mom just about daily. We're pretty tight. I read blogs and blog myself. I chat with friends online and with Terra on the phone. But it's really nice to be able to get to know the gals in the ward. From my visiting teaching, I know my visiting teachers (both are GREAT. SO fun.) and I have some great gals on my visiting teaching route (that's what we refer to our assignments as).

My friend Brian (one of my blogless friends. I know! But he and his wife are still pretty awesome ANYWAY) sent this out.

How NOT to do your Visiting Teaching:



Yeah, it's a little cheeseball at the end. But you know what? I rather LIKE cheese.
But really ... we're all here to help each other out.

In one of the hymns, it states that "the errand of angels is given to women." ("As Sisters in Zion, Hymns of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Hymn 309)
And, there is that saying ... I can't remember it word-for-word right now.... The gist is that sometimes WE are how Heavenly Father answers other people's prayers.

Well, I'm going to close up since I would like to get the kidlets ready for church (and maybe that could involve them taking a nap? Hope, hope!) AND my house is really looking rather like that last one in the video.

I think I'll tackle laundry, pick up toys, THEN the dishes ... while wrangling the munchkins.

Oh ... and it's snowing outside! And sticking! It's really pretty.
Even if it's frakkin' COLD and I'm freaking out about our electrical bill (like twice what it used to be. *sigh*)

No comments: