Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Well ....

Remember how I mentioned SOBBING through the last bit of Annie?

Then Michael and I watched last week's episode of Glee last night (since the season finale is tonight ... then SYTYCD is on THURSDAY!!!!) ...

I was a hot mess. (Not too surprising with an episode titled "Funeral," you know.)

Then I shared a couple articles with Michael:

How Slavery Really Ended in America (via New York Times)
(About Major General Benjamin Franklin Butler, Fort Monroe, "contrabands," and the Emancipation Proclamation. ... It's six pages long. And TOTALLY WORTH IT.)

Shocking Photo Created a Hero, But Not to His Family (via CNN)
(About James Zwerg, Freedom Riders, Civil Rights ... this is the one that gets me bawling.)

As wonderful as out nation can be ... we have some horrible things that happen.
At the same time, as horrible as things are ... there are some AMAZING people who do AMAZING things.
I don't have words to encompass how awed I am by Zwerg's humility ... or how heart-wrenching it is to read about the guilt he carried around for decades. Poor man. Poor, wonderful man.

I need to step it up.
Seriously.

No comments: