Monday, February 04, 2008

*sigh* Do we really need to go over my rules?

Okay, some anonymous person left a comment of PAGES (literally) of what can best be described as insane rantings on the nature of evil and what a savior is and is not. And gods and the state of evil that the world is in ... and I'm not sure what else. Since I was not about to read through at least five to twenty pages of ... stuff ... to come to a thesis statement.

Wow.

And the strangest thing is that it didn't seem to have ANY RELEVANCE WHATSOEVER to anything that I've written.

Seriously, if you want to comment, that's great. I like comments.
But please don't be some anonymous hater. If you want a theological discussion, I'm cool with that. Let's do it like mature adults. Like people who respect each other and our beliefs.

But we do NOT put down other cultures or religions. We do NOT use the f-bomb. You can "damn," and "hell" and "crap" all you want ... but let's do try to maintain my modicum of order and poise, 'kay? You can even "flip" and "freak" and "frick" all you please. Heck y'all, "fetch" is cool, too. Get my drift? I'm sure you get my point.

*sigh*
Some people's children ... My goodness.

IN OTHER NEWS:

I really liked this quote from Gordon B. Hinckley:
And so, while in Nauvoo the other day I reflected on the preparation
for prophethood; I reflected on this amazing Joseph Smith. I cannot expect
his detractors to know of his prophetic calling by the power of the Holy
Ghost, but I can raise some questions for them to deal with before they can
dismiss Joseph Smith. I raise only three of many that might be asked:
First, what do you do with the Book of Mormon? Second, how do you explain
his power to influence strong men to follow him, even unto death? And
third, how do you rationalize the fulfillment of his prophecies?

(Gordon B. Hinckley, "Praise to the Man," Ensign, Aug. 1983, 4)

--------------------------------------
Back to my confusion in regards to Anonymous Commenter ... Why the vitriol?
I do believe that we have a Savior. And that a savior IS necessary to the purpose of our life here on earth.

I don't believe that other cultures or peoples as a whole are evil. I don't believe that God is out there to hurt us. (The way that Anonymous said prayers should end would be in a plea for the gods not to hurt oneself. --- What the chicken? Heavenly Father loves us. I have respect and reverence for Him. I don't fear him sending injuries my way. The idea that a perfect, loving Father would behave in such a way boggles my brain.)

*sigh* Yeah, I just REALLY don't get it.

Anyone else getting random comments like this?
Or am I just special?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know I'm just asking for trouble, but I have yet to get any sort of spam or negative comments yet. Of course, I get hardly any comments, but you'd think there might be at least one. I'm always a little jealous of those who do get a few negative comments because what marvelous blog fodder they seem to be! Goodness knows I could use the inspiration sometimes!

Jocelyn said...

Yup. I got one within the past week. My statcounter said they came from Kari's site, but I think this person has hit a few other friends of mine and is just following links. Do they really think that with comment moderation we're going to go ahead and approve that garbage? Give me a break! Way to stand up to them!

Kari said...

I know of multiple people who have been getting that same exact comment. I'm to the point of making my blog private because they are doing exactly what Joce said, following links. The person got to mine from Heather, and I have no idea where he/she came from otherwise. What are your thoughts on making a blog private because of things like that?

Allanna said...

I don't know if it's necessary to go private ...

but I'm almost thinking that this spammer (since that's what he/she/it appears to be) might be pushing me to be a lot more open to the idea of putting a verification/captcha on my comments.

I really have to wonder what exactly is the goal of this person/spambot in posting this.

I am also toying with the idea of not allowing anonymous comments (Blogger does give this option. But do I want to demand that all commenters have an ID? What if there's a really relevant comment that someone doesn't want to be identified with? ... Well, I guess they'd just email me directly and ask me not to disclose their identity.)

It's really a personal decision. I think for now I'm going to not allow anonymous comments. I'd like to put off the captcha as long as I can, since I find them a bother to fill out, myself. ^_^ It still doesn't stop me from commenting on the blogs of friends who do use the captcha.

Maybe we should write a whole post on this?

Allanna said...

Oh, ha ha. Silly me.

It appears that I HAVE been making you all fill out captchas.

What a hypocrite I am!

It explains why I haven't been getting any spam-advertising comments. :P

But I have set my blog so that I don't accept anonymous comments.

It's not like most people who comment aren't using their names, anyway. ^_^