Friday, February 22, 2008

Taking my auntie responsibilities seriously. ... Maybe TOO seriously

Here's an email that I just sent to my brother-in-law's wife about the proposed list of names that they sent out.

For my future nephew ... I'll make a plea for NOT Echo.

Echo was a (female) nymph in Greek mythology who was cursed by Hera to only be able to repeat the words of others (since Echo had distracted Hera with her gossip as Hera was out scouting for Zeus as he was ... out philandering) ...

And Echo fell in love with Narcissus (yeah, like the flower) who fell in love with his own reflection (hence the word "narcistic" = being in love with/full of oneself) and ignored her as she pined away, leaving only her voice ... as an echo.

Yeah, I think my main problem is not that it's after a character who pined away for love ... but that it's a woman.
If my nephew turns out to be a niece, than by all means go for it.

And you know that if you name him Doctor, he's going to be like Doctor Cox on Scrubs: a bit abrasive and referring to men with women's names. I hope that Chris won't mind being called "Shirley," et al. :P

Shirley does have a certain panache that "Dad/Daddy" doesn't, though ...

But those are just my first thoughts as I go through the list. ^_^

Your mentally-imbalanced sister-in-law


Yes, I am that crazy that I do have to make remarks like that. Good thing that my family (and my extended family) love me so.

How do they ever deal with me?

No comments: