Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Come, Listen to a Prophet's Voice - Wrap Up

 So, yes ... as you can tell, I did enjoy General Conference.
Being able to HEAR it really helped.

And following the #twitterstake was great, too. It made me glad, very glad to have such technology available.

Things that I took away from the meeting:

  • We are loved.
  • The Atonement was given to us because we will make mistakes.
  • Regardless of what the world thinks or says, we need to do what is right.
  • Listen to the prophet and our leaders. They are called of God. They are inspired to lead us.
  • We are blessed to be able to receive individual revelation. We are not restricted to ONLY following our leaders blindly. The only mediator between Heavenly Father and ourselves is the Savior.
  • We need to develop our own strong testimonies.
  • We need to be examples to our children.
  • This is a good time to be alive. Things aren't as dire as they might seem. There is still lots of good in the world.
  • Members of other faiths are doing a wonderful job of living lives of testimony and service
    (I LOVED hearing this, since I have many friends who are not Latter-Day Saints. And I think it'd be wonderful for them to know that they are being thanked, publicly, by our leaders).
And, YES, I did print myself off a copy of Ezra Taft Benson's talk about the 14 Fundamentals in Following the Prophet.
I did order myself a copy of "God Loveth His Children" about the church's official stance on same-sex attraction and homosexuality. I need to be well-versed when people accuse me, personally, of hating those who are not heterosexual. I need to be able to defend my church when people not of my faith try to tell me what my church teaches.
----------------------------
(Not to be totally catty ... but I know that it could sound that way ... Who do you think really understands a religion? A person who has been a member for most of his/her life? Or someone who is not? ... I've been to a Catholic Mass and a funeral by a Catholic priest. That doesn't make me an expert. I've read a book by a woman who became a nun ... and has since left that calling. I'm still not an expert. ... Why should I believe someone who's trying to tell me that I'm wrong, that I [and the church] are homophobic bigots out to destroy democracy ... especially when he or she is trying to TELL me what I believe? ... I really just have never understood that.)

(Now, if they wanted to give me a standardized test about my knowledge of religious history ... that'd be one thing. But you really can only tell someone what you believe. Just sayin'.)
-----------------------

So, yes, I'm left with the impression that I need to READ MY SCRIPTURES.
I need to FOLLOW THE PROPHET.
I need to TEACH MY CHILDREN and help them to recognize the Spirit's influence to they can gain a TESTIMONY for themselves.

I need to work on being better about eating dinner together as a family, at having family home evening.

I need to cultivate an attitude of gratitude. (Time for another bout of the Gratitude Challenge?) And I need to be sure to express my gratitude to others.

I need to really, really develop a habit of daily scripture study.
(I've gotten better about getting out and exercising more ... here's my next step!)

I need to be more involved politically. I need to read the voters' pamphlet more. I need to make myself aware of the candidates and their stances. I need to pray for guidance in voting for who would best affect and lead our town, county, state and nation.

I need to stay optimistic and not to get bogged down by all the evil that is in the world. The world is still full of  wonderful people doing wonderful things. 

I need to repent more often and be more humble and teachable.

I need to work to create a haven of our home. I want it to be a place where our family and friends have refuge from all the influences of what is not desirable for us.

These are good goals. Now I just need to put them into practice. ^_^

That's what's going to take the effort. Wish me luck!!

No comments: