Monday, September 10, 2012

We don't need no steenking titles

What's happened since I blogged last?

Um ... I'll try to remember!

Friday was my dad's birthday. The kids and I called him up and serenaded his answering machine.
He enjoyed that.
L (for all purposes, my stepmom) appreciated me calling. ... So that SHE knew it was his birthday.
(She'd been celebrating his birthday all week, since she wasn't sure of the day. Ha!)

Dad did ask me, in our phone call this morning, who said "cha-cha-cha!" at the end of the birthday song.
THAT'D be Bruise.

(Seriously, the boy has taken to singing about everything. Bucket begged him to sing in the shower. He happily obliged, SINGING LA-LA-LA AT THE TOP OF HIS LUNGS! And he'll sing while playing with Legos or playing on the Wii ... Guess he's just got a song -- or twenty bazillion -- in his heart.)

Michael got home LONG before the kids, since Friday's his short day. We looked at websites and went to the mall (I picked up some treats for my Visiting Teaching sisters who have birthdays this month) and bought him a vest. Then we went to Dairy Queen and got Blizzards. Bubbles tagged along for the ride. She wasn't about to take a nap and let US get one, too. Oh well.

The kiddos got home (Bucket was in TEARS because she was put on the other bus. Apparently there are too many students to fit on one bus for the ride home ... so all her friends were on the other bus.) and ran out to play with their friend.

Saturday, we went to a little ceremony-thing for the end of the summer's scavenger hunt-thing. There were door prizes. Bruise REALLY wanted to win the GRAND PRIZE (even though he didn't know what it was). The kiddos both got books as door prizes. Bucket was thrilled. Bruise ... not so much.
Michael and Bubbles were on the other end of the crowd.
Michael sent me a text:
dare you to yell out "i volunteer for tribute"

I replied:
It only works if they call out PRIMROSE EVERDEEN!

(See our different texting styles? I capitalize. He uses quotation marks.
I think he wins.)

So, no, I didn't do it. I tried to convince Bucket to do it.
No dice.

However, I WOULD totally go into Starbucks and order a drink (for the second time in my life -- hey, I just don't get in there often! And they have drinks that aren't coffee.) and have them call out "Primrose Everdeen" JUST so I could shout "I VOLUNTEER! I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE!"

And, if I wasn't in the mood to do that, I could always say that my name is Voldemort.
And see if they'd call out "He-who-must-not-be-named."

I mean ... either way, I'd have a better chance of having my "name" be pronounced correctly, no?

And those aren't original ideas. But I like them.
I like them VERY much.

Soooooooooooooooo ... after the drawing, we took the kids to a Renaissance Faire. They had fun. Bucket got a coin-belt ... like a belly-dancing belt-type scarf-belt. Bruise got a wooden short sword. (He's apparently building up an arsenal of wooden weapons. He VERY MUCH wants a Knight's shield next.)
I looked at costume apparel ... but I wasn't about to spend around $300 for an awesome costume.
Though, I almost bought a lace parasol ... and a sandalwood fan.
And, if they'd had a good hat, I might have been tempted.

The kids ate bangers (well, not Bubbles. Choking hazard.) and Michael and I had chicken swarma gyros. (Bubbles ate bits of mine. She liked the pita bread, tzatziki, chicken, and tomatoes. Kept trying to grab for it while I ate. Didn't help that I was wearing her in the Moby, so she was RIGHT THERE.)

We took the kids to DQ to get their Dilly Bars (they each got coupons, even Bubbles) for the Summer Reading Program.
Bubbles enjoyed her Dilly Bar ... until she got brain freeze.

Sunday ... I was so exhausted. I haven't been sleeping well. Especially since Bubbles wakes up at least once during the night and demands a feeding. And I don't sleep that deeply with her in the bed.
We took the neighbor girl to church (I was SORELY TEMPTED to stay home and try to sleep. But I knew it wouldn't be fair to foist FOUR CHILDREN and no milk onto Michael for three hours).
Bubbles wasn't napping, so I didn't even try to make it to Sunday School. And I had to absent myself for most of Relief Society to feed her and walk her around (culminating in darting into the cleaning supplies closet, where it was dark and quiet, so I could hum this girl to sleep. LOT of Sondheim tunes going on there). Once she was asleep, I headed back to RS for the last, what, ten minutes or so.
Then I went to get the kids and Bucket JUMPED, ROARING into the hallway ... which woke up Bubbles.
I really could have slapped her upside the head.
But I didn't.

Between Michael and I, we got the kids out to the car. Got the neighbor girl home ... threw some food at the kids ... and I left Michael with Bubbles so I could finish a library book and get a nap.

I succeeded in reading the book.
FAILED MISERABLY in falling asleep.
I was terribly exhausted, but I couldn't fall asleep. I could hear everything in the front room. I could hear the kids as they ran around the house with the neighbor girl ... Michael brought Bubbles in. I fed her and laid her down for a nap. Played on my phone. Fed her when she woke up a couple hours later.
Brought her out to Michael ... cried. Texted the choir director that I wasn't going to be there ("Don't fret. The apocalypse is not yet nigh. See you next week."), took a shower ... we got dinner (first time I ate yesterday), put the kids to bed ... and watched Get Smart (again). Then we headed to bed, fed Bubbles, I took a Unisom and put on a sleep mask/eye cover, and fell asleep.

Bubbles actually slept well until about 5 AM. I fed her and fell back asleep.

We got to the bus on time ... though we weren't ready when my alarm went off for that. But the kids had their lunches (I packed them last night) and I had done their hair.

Talked to Mom and Dad on the phone ... Bubbles and I went Visiting Teaching ... and ... well, here I am.

I think that brings you up to date.

Until I do something productive, pick the kids up from the bus, and we serenade my stepdad (today's HIS birthday) later. And I cook dinner. ... Once I figure out what to MAKE for dinner.

At least the nice thing is that there's not much planned this week. Maybe I can get our bedroom clean (Michael cleaned the living room and the dining room) ... and the kitchen clean. Then I can re-learn how to take naps. Won't that be nice.

I will admit that I'm not wild about the kids not getting home until after 4 last week.
(The buses have been 20 minutes late ALL WEEK last week for drop-off.) ... It just seems to leave NO TIME to do ANYTHING. Really. They get home, play for an hour. We eat dinner and they shower (or not) and go to bed.
It makes me feel like I don't see them at all, really.
And, by the time they get home, I'm exhausted again ... so I can't appreciate them.
I guess that's what weekends are for. *sigh*

No comments:

Counting ...

HTML hit counter -
EU Users: This might use cookies. If it does, let me know and I can work on getting one that doesn't.