Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Down to a two-pet family again ...

So, Phyllis' appointment yesterday... well, I was (mostly) prepared for it.
And I had the kids with me (since Michael was at work).

We cried.

You know it's not going to be happy fun times when, after your hedgie's been weighed and looked at by the assistant, the vet comes in and says, "This is going to be a depressing appointment."
I did appreciate his honesty.

Her feet were badly infected. It would have been more traumatic for her to have had taken antibiotics and had her feet bandaged at least once a day.

She went peacefully.
When I had to leave for rehearsal, she was still breathing, albeit shallowly and slowly.

She's out buried in the backyard now ... with Gingi and Diana.

The kids are doing okay, though. This is the third pet we've had that has passed on.
And, for hedgehogs, 3-5 years is pretty average. Phyllis would have been 5 in March.

Sari, though, is doing fine. ... It will be a little easier to take care of just one.
And, if it'd be better for her, I am considering re-homing her. Unless the kids are ready to step up and help take care of her. (I can still clean her cage. It's the feeding and checking on her ... and socializing ... I need help with that. Especially, since after this new girl comes, I won't have as much time ... so, if they can develop a habit NOW ... that'd be best.)

The main thing is that I didn't want Phyllis to suffer. And she was in pain.
She isn't anymore.

Being a grown-up sucks.
Caring sucks, too.

But caring is better than the alternative.

No comments: