Friday, December 31, 2010

On the Brink ...

Now that it's THISCLOSE to a new year, I'm ... conflicted.

I mean, it's exciting and all ... a new start, a new year.

At the same time, I really don't like change. I do get set in my little ways.

And everything seems to be changing.
  • I don't have a cat in my house. And I'm a little scared to get a new one. It won't be Ginger or Diana. Am I ready to get used to a new cat?
  • I own hedgehogs. They're cute ... but they're also prickly and smelly. I like them ... but it's odd to have a pet (other than a fish) that I can't cuddle with. (Well, that I can't cuddle with and NOT suffer for it. And that's counting the pet rabbit I had about 20 years ago. The one that wouldn't let me hold it without scratching the crap outta my chest when I tried to hold it. Rabbits have SHARP claws, just so you know. I still like them, though.)
  • Next fall, my kiddos will start school. This is so weird. They're getting so big. We gave Bruise a (much-needed) haircut ... and he looks older. Bucket got hoop earrings for Christmas. Wearing those and her newest jeans, with her hair pulled back ... she looks halfway ready for college. Scary.
  • We now have a Wii, with a WiiFit and Netflix. These are GOOD things. Still, it's kinda scary. We didn't have them for ... well, FOREVER. And now we do.
  • Michael'll be taking that engineering license test again in a few months. Please pray that he passes it.
    After he does, we can be a two-vehicle family again.
Christmas stuff is coming down. We're getting ready for the kids' birthday.
We bought containers and organized the kids' room this morning. And spent the afternoon cleaning up. The house isn't anywhere near where it needs to be for next weekend ... but it's a start. And we know what to do for the kids' birthday cakes.

We only have one 2011 calendar. I feel oddly unprepared for the new year.

At the same time, I feel, overall, pretty good about this year that's almost done.
  • I participated in a 5K "run." (Yes, I did run for parts of it. But not for a whole lot of it.)
  • I went to a Roller Derby practice/audition/whatever. And it was fun. Even when I fell. But I don't think that it's right for me right now.
  • I cemented my reputation at Church as being the one gal that colors her hair a LOT. And to different colors. I've sported different shades of brown, blonde, and red. I also had pink and blonde streaks. And my hair hasn't fallen out. Yet.
  • I got to spend the whole week at Girls' Camp this last summer. Hadn't done that since I was ... seventeen, I think.
  • I grew more accustomed to the fact that I don't have my Gingi-cat. It's been almost a year and a half ... and I think I'm doing better. And then Diana died. It's been just over a week. I'll get/be better. Sometime.
    (I know that I'm not doing awesomely, since just writing that has me crying. I hate outliving people/animals. However, it does strengthen my testimony about the eternalness of our spirits and our relationships. Why else would a loving God have us create these ties and invest all this emotion if He hasn't provided a way for us to be with those that we love after we die? And death isn't forever.  It's just temporary. I have to remember that, in the eternal scheme of things, it's just a short separation. And I can get through this.)
  • I made brownies that, apparently, contain a secret, addictive chemical. My stepdad's gained over two pounds this last week. And, dude, they are GOOD brownies.
Well ... that's all I can think of off the top of my head at present.
Time to help my husband and to watch Prince of Persia, drink sparkling cider, and finish folding laundry.
Yes, we are JUST that wild and crazy. Woooooo!! Check out our MAD, CRAZY, EXCITING way to ring in the new year -- laundry, a movie, sleeping. We're CAH-RAY-ZEE!!!

I know, I know. You're madly, madly jealous.
It's okay. You'll get over it. :P

Love to you and wishing you all a wonderful and happy new year filled with pleasant experiences.

No comments: